The 2012 C&D Recycling Forum in Long Beach, Calif., will provide attendees an opportunity to network and gain industry insight.
The C&D recycling industry continues to grow and face new challenges as the economy, legislation, technology and material flows continually change. Staying abreast of these developments while interacting with industry peers and experts is the goal of the C&D Recycling Forum.
Now in its third year, the C&D Recycling Forum brings together C&D recyclers, demolition contractors, haulers, solid waste officials and equipment and service suppliers for three days of educational sessions and networking opportunities. This year’s forum will be held Sept. 23-25 at the Hilton Long Beach and Executive Meeting Center in Long Beach, Calif.
Whether a newcomer to the industry or veteran to the business, the C&D Recycling Forum can provide critical information and meaningful business connections in a very industry-specific format.
“To get with a group of people that are dealing with the same issues and the same ideas that you are and be able to talk about similar issues—it’s a fantastic forum and a great opportunity,” Mike Casbon, Environmental Resources Management, Carmel, Ind., said after attending the 2011 forum. He added, “There are quite a few people here who have given me insight on new and upcoming things and some ideas on how to advance our program a little bit further.”
Attendees of the C&D Recycling Forum will have the opportunity to learn about equipment and services that could potentially help increase productivity and profitability. An exhibit hall will allow attendees to see what vendors have to offer. Breakfasts, lunches and receptions will give attendees a chance to meet with exhibitors before, during and after sessions.
As of late June, a number of exhibitors had already committed to exhibiting at the C&D Recycling Forum, including:
- Bulk Handling Systems (BHS), Booth 12;
- CBI, Booth 1;
- Company Wrench, Booth 22;
- DoppstadtUS, Booth 18;
- EEI Group, Booth 6,7;
- Gershman, Brickner & Bratton Inc. (GBB), Booth 20;
- General Kinematics Corp., Booth 5;
- Krause Manufacturing Inc., Booth 9;
- Komptech USA, Booth 25;
- Machinex Technologies Inc., Booth 19;
- Peterson Pacific, Booth 15;
- Rotochopper, Inc., Booth 14;
- Sparta Innovations, Booth 21;
- SSI Shredding Systems Inc., Booth 8;
- Van Dyk Recycling Solutions, Booth 17; and
- West Salem Machinery Co., Booth 23.
The 2012 C&D Recycling Forum, organized by Construction & Demolition Recycling (C&DR) magazine, is aiming to do the same. With 11 sessions covering a variety of topics, attendees will hear from experts in the fields of C&D recycling, demolition, green building and renewable energy who will offer local, state, national and global perspectives.
Much to cover
Sessions throughout the three-day conference have been carefully planned to offer a well-rounded scope of relevant topics. The staff of C&DR magazine, along with consulting firm Gershman Brickner & Bratton Inc. (GBB), and an advisory committee representing the various industry sectors, provided input into the programming.
The topics and descriptions are as follows:
- State of the Industry Summary: Construction & Demolition Recycling magazine offers insights garnered from its 2012 State of the Industry research.
- Mechanical Sorting Innovations: This session offers a look at the latest innovations in C&D sorting systems, including technology and configurations designed to help maximize materials recovery.
- Keynote Session: Sustainability's Driving Forces: The sustainability movement is playing a crucial role in boosting the recycling of C&D materials. Hear from an architect, a general contractor and a waste management company on how “being green” is affecting operations.
- Closing New Loops: Presenters show ways to diversify the materials stream and tap into emerging end markets such as carpet and flooring, roofing shingles and ceiling tiles.
- California State of Mind: California communities are setting a precedent for what happens with C&D debris through diversion requirements, facility audits and other practices that could be coming soon to a city near you.
- Crushing Successfully: This session will present case studies about concrete recycling success stories and update attendees on issues in the crushing sector.
- Worldly Views: International developments in demolition techniques and C&D recycling, and what they mean to the U.S., are the focus of this session.
- Taking on the Issues: Speakers will provide solutions to and updates on various issues currently facing the C&D recycling industry.
- Alternative Views: Providers of conversion technology show how C&D materials and residues can be used in WTE (waste-to-energy) systems.
- Case Studies: Large-Scale Projects: Case studies of prominent projects, from both the construction and demolition sectors, that profited by obtaining lofty recycling targets are presented.
A growing panel
Attendees will have the opportunity to do more than listen to the sessions. They can participate in question and answer periods with panelists at the conclusion of their presentations. Among the speakers who will be giving presentations during the three-day event are:
Reserve a spot
To register for the C&D Recycling Forum, Sept. 23-25 at the Hilton Long Beach and Executive Meeting Center, in Long Beach, Calif., visit www.CDRecycler.com/Forum or call 800-456-0707.
Several trade organizations have partnered with the Forum, including the National Demolition Association, the U.S. Green Building Association Los Angeles Chapter, and the California Resource Recovery Association. Members of these organizations will receive a discounted rate on registration.
- Tim Newsom, Waste Management
- Barry Hornbacher, Owens Corning
- Richard Ludt, IRS Demo
- Rich Lorenz, Central Environmental Services
- Andy Lake, Armstrong World Industries
- Brian Taylor, C&DR magazine
- J.W. Spear, Institute for Certification of Sustainable Recyclers
- Ron Greitzer, LA Fiber
- Bob Brickner, GBB Inc.
- Shellie Collier, Homage Design
- Rick Comtois, Austin AI Inc.
- Stefano Panseri, Despe Srl
- William Sinclair, Safedem Ltd
As speakers are confirmed for the event, they will be added to the forum website. For updates on speakers, sessions and registration information, visit www.CDRecycler.com/Forum.
The author is managing editor of Construction & Demolition Recycling and can be contacted at email@example.com.
Watch the video
Want to find out what attendees are saying about the C&D Recycling Forum? Visit www.cdrecycler.com/candd-recycling-forum-2012-promo.aspx to see a video with 2011 attendees.