Waste Management Inc. (WMI), Houston, has announced the winners of its 2012 Sustainability Circle of Excellence Award, which recognizes top customers in the construction industry who achieved outstanding sustainability milestones during the planning and building phases of their projects. To be considered for this award, winners used Waste Management’s Diversion and Recycling Tracking Tool (DART) to track their performance throughout the year.
DART, WMI’s online portal used to follow environmental performance during construction projects, calculates the amount of waste that customers divert from the landfill, as well as the different types of materials put to reuse. Information is updated daily to track the sustainable performances of some of the nation’s top builders, who can then use the information to pursue LEED certification for their projects, as well as set future green goals.
The winning companies diverted the highest total tonnage of waste from landfills to recycling facilities and include:
- Balfour Beatty Construction LLC – Robert Van Cleave, chairman and CEO
- Brasfield and Gorrie LLC – Jim Gorrie, President
- Gilbane Building Company – Thomas Gilbane, Jr., chairman and CEO
- Jersen Industries– David Jersen, CEO
- McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. – Michael Bolen, chairman and CEO
- Skanska USA Inc. – Michael McNally, president and CEO
- W.A. Sheets & Sons – Phil Sheets, Jr., president
- Whiting-Turner Contracting Company – Timothy Regan, executive vice president
- William H. Lane Inc. – William Lane, CEO
“This award is recognition of a shared commitment to profitable green business practices and the environment,” says David Steiner, president and CEO of Waste Management. “We congratulate each company for their outstanding environmental performance and look forward to tracking these benchmarks in the future, as they represent a shared commitment to diversion, recycling and sound environmental practices.”
“DART really empowers these builders to pursue aggressive diversion goals,” says Jane Sumner, vice president overseeing Construction Solutions for Waste Management. “In total, the companies named for this award have diverted thousands of tons of construction waste, all of which has been tracked carefully. It’s further proof that what gets measured, gets accomplished.”
For more information on the Sustainability Circle of Excellence Awards, visit wm.com/dart.