Craig Parker was sworn in as 2018 Chairman of the National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA), Lanham, Maryland, at a ceremony Feb. 12 during the association’s 63rd annual meeting. As chairman, Parker is responsible for guiding NAPA’s efforts to support the asphalt pavement industry.
Parker is executive vice president of Silver Star Construction, Moore, Oklahoma. The company operates one asphalt plant and offers paving and related construction services in the Oklahoma City area.
Priorities for Parker’s term as NAPA chairman include worker safety and quality pavements.
“Roadbuilding is a dangerous job, and we need to find ways to make it a safer work environment for all of our employees,” Parker says. “With its training and education programs, NAPA is focused on worker safety, and we are committed to seeing companies put innovations into place to make what we do safer and more efficient.”
Parker will also work with NAPA’s professional staff on the need for infrastructure investment and a stable funding stream for construction, maintenance and improvement of the nation’s infrastructure.
Parker has been an active member of NAPA, serving as the state director for Oklahoma for seven years and providing oversight of NAPA-directed research into asphalt’s performance and environmental characteristics. He also served on the task group overseeing revisions to the Diamond Commendations program, NAPA’s program that recognizes asphalt plants, terminals and paving crews for adherence to best practices and a commitment to quality.
Other national officers serving with Parker for 2018 on the NAPA board of directors are:
- First Vice Chairman John Harper, president of Wiregrass Construction Co. Inc. in Dothan, Alabama;
- Second Vice Chairman James Winford Jr., president of Prairie Contractors Inc. in Opelousas, Louisiana;
- Third Vice Chairman James Mitchell, president of Superior Paving Corp. in Gainesville, Virginia;
- Secretary Brady Meldrem, president of Norris Asphalt Paving in Ottumwa, Iowa; and
- Treasurer Timothy Lee, CEO of Lakeside Industries Inc. in Issaquah, Washington.