The Illinois Recycling Association (IRA) has awarded its Steve Apotheker Award for the Recycler of the Year to Bill Turley, executive director of founder the Construction & Demolition Recycling Association (CDRA). In recognizing Turley, the IRA says that Turley has been a leader in the waste reduction and recycling industry for more than two decades.
Other recipients of various recycling-related awards were the following:
- Outstanding Government Recycling Award: City of Chicago
- Recycling Educator of the Year: Stephanie Katsaros, Chicago area
- Outstanding Community Recycling Award: Rock Island Housing Authority
- Outstanding College Sustainability Program: Illinois Central College, E. Peoria
- Outstanding School Recycling Program: St. Mary Nativity School, Joliet
- Outstanding Business Recycling Program: Rexam Beverage Can North America
- Outstanding Service Provider: Closed Loop Recycling, St. Louis, MO
- Outstanding Special Recycling Program: Ecology Action Center, Normal
- Outstanding Non-Profit Recycling Award: Advocate Health Care
The award winners were announced during the joint annual IRA/Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) Illinois Chapter conference and trade show, held June 3-4 in Tinley Park, Illinois.