|Brandenburg’s Dennis McGarel will discuss the firm’s demolition of the Prentice Women’s Hospital and Maternity Center in Chicago, pictured here, at the World Demolition Summit, Nov. 6, in Amsterdam.|
The conference and 2015 awards will take place in Amsterdam Nov. 6. McGarel will discuss the challenges faced by the contractor in demolishing a cantilevered nine-story, four cylindrical tower structure sitting on top of a rectangular five-story lower structure. There were other challenges as well, with court action to prevent demolition leading to delays of more than a year on the project.
Other event speakers include:
- Peter Craven of CDE Global on waste recycling targets;
- Henrik Bonnesen of COWI on a Danish investigation into polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) sources;
- Clinton Dick of Liberty International on the decommissioning of a massive harbor crane in Sydney Harbour;
- David Sinclair, the keynote address by on a life in demolition; and
- William Sinclair of Safedem on demolition and urban redevelopment.
The event is held in cooperation with the European Demolition Association (EDA) and is endorsed by the National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC), the Institute of Demolition Engineers (IDE), the Concrete Sawing & Drilling Association (CSDA) and the National Demolition Association (NDA).
More information is available at www.khl.com/wds.