The Manitowoc County Shingle Recycling Site has opened in mid-April 2014. The facility is located at the Manitowoc County Highway Shop Quarry in Manitowoc, Wis. Incoming loads of roofing material will be weighed and charged on a per ton basis. Shingles processed at the site will be sorted, cleaned, and recycled into asphalt for road projects.
The facility will charge for materials as follows:
- $50 per ton – dirty loads of shingles
- $45 per ton – sorted loads of shingles
- $40 per ton – clean loads of shingles
The facility provides the following guidelines:
- Dirty loads contain material that comes off of a roof. They must contain at least 80 percent shingles by weight. Any loads with more garbage weight will be rejected.
- Sorted loads will have waste material from a roof loaded on top of a shingle load (waste must be 20 percent or less of the total load weight). Hauler or roofing contractor must dispose of waste in proper containers.
- Clean loads consist of only shingles, tar paper and nails. Shingle weight should be 99 percent of the load.
- Cedar shake shingles are not allowed on the site.
- Asbestos and other hazardous or special waste materials are not allowed on site. Commercial roofing projects may be required to provide asbestos test results.
- Collection employees reserve the right to reject load s and to judge whether a customer is charged based on a dirty, sorted or clean load.
Those seeking more information about the Wisconsin facility can go to www.manitowocrecycles.org.